Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Our journey to remove PMI

My wife and I refinanced our home loan on September 27, 2011.  At the time, we didn't quite have 80% LTV, so we had to pay Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI).  Before we signed the documents, we triple checked that we would be able to remove PMI after reaching 80% Loan-to-Value (LTV), which we expected to do after 2011 tax returns.  We were told that we would be able to remove PMI at 80% LTV.

Our loan was sold to Wells Fargo Home Mortgage (WFHM) a month later.  In February, we started the process to get PMI removed.  It has been an exercise in frustration, as Wells Fargo does not appear to be interested in doing the right thing (for me).  Maybe it is the right thing for them.

I want to document the steps that we went through for the record.  We still have not successfully had PMI removed.  I'll explain what we've done so far over the next posts. 

Hopefully, this blog will help others that are trying to get PMI removed from their loans.  I welcome advice from others on what we should do next.  It should sever as a warning for others when dealing with with Wells Fargo.

No comments:

Post a Comment